Request for Proposals
Engage Forward 2023-24
Thank you for your interest in Engage Forward.
Engage Forward empowers class members from the Leadership Palm Beach County Engage program to take active roles in the community through a partnership with local nonprofit agencies. If your nonprofit is chosen, your organization will actively collaborate with Engage class members to find solutions to issues facing your organization or the community you serve. Your organization (and those you serve) will be the beneficiary of this infusion of manpower, creativity, connections, and effort.
The request for proposal begins by you attending our informative workshops to better understand this opportunity, learn best practices for participating in Engage Forward, create project ideas from your supplied issues, and learn how to generate successful project proposals. Click here to learn more about Engage Forward.
Informative workshop Schedule
This year, we will offer the informative workshop in three formats: in-person, live virtual, and recorded. We strongly recommend that first-time applicants attend the in-person brainstorming session or the live virtual session. The recorded option is best for organizations that have previously applied. In order for your project to be considered for Engage Forward, at least one representative from your organization MUST attend one of these workshops.
Live Virtual w/ Q&A
Monday, May 15, 2023, 3:30pm - 4:30pm
In-Person (at Main PBC Library - 3650 Summit Blvd, WPB) w/ Q&A and Brainstorming with Committee
Wednesday, June 21, 2023, 3:30pm - 5:00pm
Registration closes Wednesday, May 31, 2023;
Recording will be sent to registrants Friday, June 2, 2023
Engage Forward Proposal
Deadline: July 7, 2023
Complete the proposal and return it to LPBC as directed. Proposals will be judged by the Engage Forward Committee, made up of LPBC Alumni, who will select a group of projects to be presented to the Engage class. The class will then select the projects that they wish to support during their Opening Retreat in September. The deadline for submitting proposals is July 7, 2023.
Request for Proposal
Download the RFP to be submitted no later than Friday, July 7, 2023.
Frequently Asked Questions
To qualify for consideration of participation in the Engage Forward program, organizations must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Organization must provide access to one (1) full time staff person, at minimum, to partner with the Engage Forward team.
- Organization must allocate an average of ten (10) hours of staff time per month to support the Engage Class project team.
- All projects are self-financed by the proposing organization with seed money contribution to be available if needed. If the organization’s annual revenue for the most recently completed fiscal year (Line 12, Form 990) is under $500,000.00, the organization is responsible for contributing a minimum of $500.00 toward the project. For organizations with revenue of over $500,000.00, the minimum contribution is $1,000.00.
- A representative from the organization must participate in one of the Engage Forward informative workshops mentioned above.
- Organization must clearly identify at least one organizational or community issue that needs Engage Forward’s help.
- Organization must sign Engage Forward’s Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and abide by our reporting standards after project completion.
- If you are a previous Engage Forward recipient, at least three (3) years must have passed since the completion of your last Engage Forward project.
- If a staff member of the proposing organization is a member of the current Engage class, that individual cannot participate on the project as a staff member of the organization, nor can they select or participate on the project as a class member.
Engage Forward collaborates on projects that support event planning, program development, logistics & operations, strategic development, human resources, and social enterprise. Engage Forward does not support projects on feasibility studies, fundraising events, political campaigns, or strict marketing and awareness initiatives.
The Engage Forward collaborative workshops are designed to help organizations understand the opportunity and create great proposals. We offer an in-person brainstorming session with the committee (details above). During this workshop, members of the Engage Forward Committee work one-on-one with organizations to gain insight into their needs and help them craft a project that best addresses that need and supports the mission of Engage Forward.
Leadership Palm Beach County (LPBC) is a nonprofit organization that brings together leaders from the public, private, and nonprofit sectors to build and steward a vibrant, interconnected community. Leadership Palm Beach County consists of about 2,000 of our County’s community leaders.
Every year, LPBC welcomes 50-55 new members into the organization as class members of the Engage Program. These Engage members are the ones you will partner with through Engage Forward. LPBC offers these leaders a unique opportunity to be part of a class that has come together to:
- Enhance their personal and professional leadership skills
- Understand the complex issues facing Palm Beach County through open, thought-provoking, and balanced discussion
- Participate in projects that aim to serve the greater good of our community
- Build relationships with other leaders who find solutions to the challenges facing our County
For more than 20 years, a critical part of the Engage Program’s leadership experience is participation in a community service project with a local nonprofit organization (Engage Forward). We do this to increase the working relationships of our class members and to encourage lasting relationships with local organizations that are actively engaged in making Palm Beach County better.
Past classes have been composed of individuals from various fields such as nonprofit organizations, business, government, law, marketing, finance, and healthcare, with jobs at all levels from CEOs and executive directors to project administration and HR. Due to the unique nature of Leadership Palm Beach County, each incoming class will have its own diversity of careers and skills to contribute to Engage Forward projects.
May 1: Request for Proposal is open
May 15: Collaborative Workshop - Virtual with Q&A
June 21: Collaborative Workshop - In-Person with Q&A and Brainstorming
July 7: Proposal Submission Deadline
Week of August 7: Committee Selection Meeting, Organizations notified of first-round results
August 30*: Project Presentation at Engage Orientation (required for organizations who made it to Round Two)
September 8-9*: Project Selection at Engage Opening Retreat (organizations not present)
September 11*: Organizations notified of results
October*: Projects begin
May: Projects Completed
*These dates are subject to change. Revised dates will be communicated to qualifying projects /organizations in a timely manner, if necessary.
Organizations selected for participation in the 2023-2024 Engage Forward program must commit to have one (1) staff member serve as liaison to the Engage Forward team, to be hands-on and participatory throughout the project cycle, and to complete tasks and respond to requests in a timely manner to ensure project success. We expect this to be about a ten hour per month commitment of the staff liaison's time.
For a full list of requirements, please see "Does my organization qualify to participate?" above.
All projects are self-financed by the proposing organization with seed money contribution to be available if needed. If the organization’s annual revenue for the most recently completed fiscal year (Line 12, Form 990) is under $500,000.00, the organization is responsible for contributing a minimum of $500.00 toward the project. For organizations with revenue over $500,000.00, the minimum contribution is $1,000.00.
There is a strict no fundraising policy for the Engage Forward projects. The Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) stipulates that organizations cannot use the Engage Forward project to solicit funds, monetary or in-kind, for fundraising purposes. If there is a concern regarding this policy, please consult with the Engage Forward team.